The first Europeans to have visited Mauritius were the Portuguese at the beginning of the sixteenth century (most probably in 1510). The Dutch who settled in the island in 1598 named it Mauritius after Prince Maurice of Nassau. Among other things, the Dutch introduced sugar cane and the Java deer before leaving in 1710 where they had found in the mean time a far better settling place: The Cape of Good Hope in South Africa.
Flic-en-Flac is a seaside small town on the western part of the island of Mauritius in the district of Rivière Noire (Black River). The name most likely comes from an Old Dutch phrase, “Fried Landt Flaak”, meaning free, flat land. Its public white sandy beach is one of the longest on the island.